Tuesday 9 October 2012

LINWOOD BARCLAY - STONE RAIN (2007)


I’ve read most of Linwood Barclay’s latest offerings, No Time For Goodbye, Fear The Worst, Never Look Away with The Accident still waiting on the TBR pile.

This book is one of his earlier titles, the fourth in a series featuring Zack Walker, a newspaper reporter cum sci-fi novelist. Barclay’s Walker booked have been blurbed as Hiaasen-esque in style, but having read most of Hiaasen’s books I’m not too sure I would agree. There were a few chuckles, and possibly one laugh out loud moment, but he never brought a tear to my eye, unlike Carl on occasions.

Walker apparently has the unfortunate knack of inadvertently landing himself in trouble, more by accident than design. On this occasion, his well intentioned efforts to assist an old friend, neighbour and sex-worker put both him and his family in peril, as well as his job and more importantly his marriage.

 Murder, biker gangs, stun guns, S&M torture dens, as well as some dodgy fried food all feature prominently in the book. Whilst Walker is likeable and always strives to do the right thing, I’m probably not too bothered if I don’t read about his earlier exploits, which are obliquely referenced fairly often, anytime soon.

There are plans I believe to re-issue this and the earlier Walker books in the UK, during 2013, so as my wife is a Barclay fan I guess I will be catching up whether I really want to or not.

3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment