Thursday 28 February 2013

FEBRUARY 2013 - READING LIST


Michael Connelly - The Fifth Witness (2011) (4)

Gary Carson - Hot Wire (2012) (3)

John D. MacDonald - The Deep Blue Goodbye (1964) (4)

Robert Crais - The Monkey's Raincoat (1987) (4)

Robert Crais - Stalking The Angel (1988) (4)

Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon (2002)

Andrew Nette - Ghost Money (2012) (4)

Lawrence Block - Time To Murder And Create (1976) (4)

Adam Hall - The Quiller Memorandum (1965) (4)

Deon Meyer - Heart Of The Hunter (2003) (5)

Pearce Hansen - Stagger Bay (2012) (4)

Arnaldur Indridason - The Draining Lake (2007) (5)

Ian Rankin - The Complaints (2009) (4)

Another decent month in terms of reading quantity and quality. I managed 13 books in the month, which at one point didn't seem very likely as I got bogged down with Altered Carbon halfway through the book and the month.  My Pulp Fiction group membership over on Goodreads had it down as the reading choice of the month. There's really no accounting for taste! I suppose if you read a "bad" book, it just makes you appreciate the ones you enjoy a bit more.

I managed to keep up with my personal reading challenges, both numbers-wise and in sticking to my Scandinavian quest of one a month. I usually read at least one non-fiction book a month, but managed to break the habit by sticking to fiction in February. When I say fiction I should perhaps qualify that as male fiction, as I didn't have any female authors cross my path.........tut tut.

I've started a few series, with the intention of visiting them once a month to make progress through them. We'll see how long that lasts!
Lawrence Block and Matthew Scudder, 2 in 2 months with about 15 to go!
John D. MacDonald and Travis McGee, 1 down 20 to go.
Robert Crais -  2 in a month, with about 10 more Elvis Cole's before progressing to the 3 or 4 Joe Pike books.

I actually closed the spine on a Michael Connelly book and felt satisfied which hasn't happened for the past 3 or 4 books I've read of his. Another highlight was reading The Complaints by Ian Rankin. I've a load of unread Rebus in the loft along with his second in the series follow on to this book. Maybe, I'll be inspired to get stuck in, but knowing me something else will turn my head and I'll forget all about him in a week or two!

There were two standout books in the month; another excellent offering from Deon Meyer - Heart Of The Hunter, and the Scandinavian author, Arnaldur Indridason's The Draining Lake.

Book of the month..........hmm, dead heat, maybe? No by the narrowest of margins, it has to be Deon Meyer again - Heat Of The Hunter.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a month. I haven't read the Deon Meyer but I'd love to give it a go. That's quite a list you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, at the minute I just can't seem to stop reading. No doubt that will change with the advent of spring - which will be gardening weather, I can hardly wait (groan)

    ReplyDelete