Thursday 29 October 2015

PETER TEMPLE - ITHACA IN MY MIND (2012)


Synopsis/blurb…..

On a lazy summer morning, ageing author Vincent Duncan takes an unsettling phone call from his literary agent. Peter Temple indulges his humorous side in this scathingly brilliant portrayal of a writer past his peak.

Crisis time in the library, my reading mojo has upped and vanished, so in an effort to speed things up and get things moving, I got this 21 page short from Amazon.

Temple is an author I’ve enjoyed in my pre-blogging days, though like most on my shelves there’s more from him unread than read. (The Broken Shore is highly recommended though.)

We have a disgruntled author waiting on news from his agent regarding his latest work. Our man in question is living on past glories and his star is waning, though naturally he is oblivious to this. His agent and not without a small amount of satisfaction soon enlightens him as to his current situation. A none too pleasant parting of the waves occurs.

In the background, our author’s work situation with his university contract close to expiration is somewhat fraught, though again his grasp on the seriousness of the situation is limited. Similarly our relationship with our Bohemian artist partner is somewhat strained. For an arty type she does like spending on the good things in life, as well as getting down and dirty with her latest young model. Financial meltdown is imminent.

However salvation beckons, rumour has it that our unpublished but much touted manuscript has scooped a major Canadian prize accompanied by a big fat cheque.
Hope springs eternal………sod the job, ditch the bitch and its blue skies all the way……. or not.

4.5 from 5

Great story, I doubt Temple’s poking fun at himself though undoubtedly he may have encountered a few writerly types whose persona may fill our main character’s shoes. Hilarious with a sting in the tale.

Sad to say whilst this temporarily lifted the October reading gloom, it was a short-lived revival. (4 days in the month left at time of writing and only 5 books/stories read. Time to check out the stacks for some more 20-page gems!)


Bought on Amazon this month for less than a pound.

14 comments:

  1. Ah, a good Peter Temple story is always worth a read, Col. Glad you enjoyed this one. And I know how TBRs and time go, but I do hope you get the chance to read some of the other Temple books you have. He's quite talented, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - I love it when we have a favourite author in common. Temple fits the bill!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read much by Temple but would like to read more. Sounds like a good story. My reading has slowed down a bit this month but I have never read the number of books you can read in a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to try him Tracy. I really like him, which kind of makes my non-reading of him more inexplicable.....too many other books and authors though!

      Delete
  3. And I like your new picture. How long has it been there? Have I been totally oblivious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I only changed it earlier this week when I was messing about. You're on point and paying attention!

      Delete
  4. Col, I will check out this story, thanks. I'm with Tracy on your new profile picture — nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, Peter Temple short or long is to be recommended. Thanks for the compliment on my profile picture - my daughter took it of me in the car!

      Delete
  5. I have a few Peter Temple books. Just haven't reached them yet. One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keishon, I'm sure they will keep. I need to read his longer stuff too, but at least this short will tide me over for a while!

      Delete
    2. Like Tracy and Prashant, I noticed the new avatar and like it. Take care.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Keishon - will do, you too!

      Delete
  6. This sounds good, and 21 pages makes it better. Hope you get your enthusiasm back in November, and like everyone else, I admire the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The attempt to kick-start the end of October failed, despite this interesting and welcome interlude. Temple is highly recommended. Cheers re the photo - a bit of eye candy for my readers! Haha....I am of course joking

      Delete